Aromatherapy is the modality through which many combat issues involving everyday health problems. The benefits of essential oils are innumerable. However, it is vital to know the safety measures and precautions before using them (especially for those with health conditions). Having knowledge about essential oils and how to use them would help you to reap their maximum benefits. Also, that would gain your confidence in aromatherapy.
Safety Tips for People with Medical Conditions:
Most of us are aware of the basic guidelines about diluting essential oils with the carrier oil before topical use to avoid causal infection. But it is also vital to know the additional safety tips for those who have other health conditions:
- Make sure that the essential oils do not interfere with medications that you may be taking.
- Ensure that the essential oils are safe to use with your health condition by talking with your physician.
- It is crucial to keep an eye open for any side effects after using essential oils. Be sure to discontinue usage of essential oil if there are any negative side effects.
- If you have doubts about using essential oils, seek advice from a trusted physician. Don’t ignore the doctor’s suggestion as you may be prone to negative side effects.
How to utilize essential oil with health conditions:
Asthma: Those with bronchial asthma should use oil rich in 1.8-cineole oils with caution, despite offering breathing benefits. Avoid inhaling the essential oil vapors directly. Rather, diffuse them in an ultrasonic diffuser according to the manufacturer’s guidelines. When you are using topically, it is recommended to use 1 percent dilution. It is vital to seek advice from a doctor and aromatherapist. Initiate with slow dilutions and inhale essential oils in small quantities and short intervals. If you see any side effects, discontinue using it.
Autoimmune Diseases: It is vital for those who have an autoimmune disease to avoid the following oils:
- Clove as it increases the blood cell count
- Cinnamon Bark and Leaf that modulate immunostimulating
- T cell, Fennel, and Thyme inhibit oxidative-stress causing reactive oxygen species and frankincense as it contains immunostimulant properties.
But these essential oils can be used to treat psoriasis, inflammatory bowel disease, type 1 diabetes, and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Bleeding Disorders: If you have bleeding disorders such as hemophilia, internal bleeding, those who are taking anticoagulant medications, and, others must avoid using essential oils such as allspice, birch, oregano, wintergreen. It is vital to make sure that these essential oils are also must not be utilized in the time of major surgery.
Cancer: As there are many different types of cancer, it is vital to consult your doctor and communicate with him to make a personal plan that meets your individual need to meet the requirements. Essential oils are highly beneficial for those, who are suffering from cancer, as it promotes relaxation, reduces stress and soothes pain in the body. Young Living has quality essential oils you can choose from.
Pregnancy: It is advised not to use essential oils during the first three months of pregnancy as it is the most delicate time. After the first three months, it is advised to dilute 1 percent for the topical application so that you do not overwhelm the system. It is crucial to learn which oils are regarded unsafe to use during pregnancy and postpartum if breastfeeding. If you are diffusing, do not keep it on for long periods, and make sure to keep it in a well-ventilated room.
Though essential oils have many benefits, it is important to check for safety guidelines if one is suffering from any health conditions.